Table index generation

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Visio offers four index types for database tables.  The two of interest to me are:

1. Unique index only
  2. Unique contstraint only

I have created one of each in a test table in my diagram.  When I forward engineer, both are scripted as a "CREATE UNIQUE INDEX".  I expected the "Unique constraint only" to generate a constraint, not an index.

While both can get the job done for data integrity (with subtle differences), it is problematic if I start with a reverse-engineered db, which uses constraints.  I get a lot of "false" differences just by forward engineering the db, without making any changes to it, because the constraints become indexes.

I realize that I am choosing what Visio calls an "Index type", and I am expecting a resulting contstraint; but, what is the point of offering me two choices that give the same result?  Is my issue with Visio or the Forward Engineer add-in?  Any help would be appreciated.

, Lee

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Hi,

I am also having the same problem. Can any one shed some light on the fix?

Thanks

rvMuthukumar

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.