Visio 2010 64-Bit?

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Hi,

I have Windows 7 64-Bit and Visio 2010 64-Bit.  I ran the installer, which installed into the Program Files (x86) directory (i.e., not the 64-Bit Program Files directory).  When running Visio, the add-in is not there, and when I try to manually add it, I get an error saying that it is not a valid add-in.  Can you confirm that the Visio Forward Engineer Addin works in Visio 2010 64-Bit?  If not, would you mind compiling it for 64-Bit and including a setup for 64-Bit?

Thank you kindly!

thebeck

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM

That's right. The add-in is developed as 32 bit version of add. If you have experience, you can download the source code and recompile it as x64 dll.

Otherwise, in upcoming weeks I will consider shipping both versions of add-in, both for x86 and x64 platforms. Stay tuned.

Thanks for replay

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:46 AM

That makes sense.  Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to compile on Windows.  I have time, so I can wait for a x64 version -- I'll keep watching this site.  Thank you so much for your time on this project.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Hey,

A new comer here, I was very excited to find this nifty add-in and rather disappointed that it didn't work on 64bit. So, any news on the new build/version?
I made a quick attempt to build it on my machine, but encountered some issues with the MODELENGLib reference. Didn't find much help googling so decided not waste much time on it and keep myself busy with other stuff till an expert handle it.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Hi Amarus,

thanks for participating. 
Unfortunately I do not have necessary  resources to make a proper testing. Only machine on which this add-in is tested is my PC (W7 x64, Visio x86).
I had a big plans about the project, hoping that  many developers will be willing to contribute. Unfortunately, form one side for personal reasons, and the other null response of community, this project didn't had desired hereinafter.
I'm planning for these month to create a developers guide, explaining the current architecture, choices, and plans for the future. And of course, still hoping to have more people involved, if not else for testing.

So just stay tuned and do not be in hurry, many good new thing are coming! 

Regards

Mario Majcica

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Hi Mario,

I will be more than happy to be an avid tester for you.  Unfortunately, I am 64-bit through and through, so once the 64-bit version of the add-in is released, I'll be able to provide feedback.  I spent a lot of time back in the day using the Visio tool from Orthogonal Software (http://www.orthogonalsoftware.com/products.html), so now that I have an upgraded system, I am very much looking forward to using your tool.

Cheers

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Hi Beck,

I'm making my preparation work in order to get rid off the MODELENGLib. This is right now our main point for gathering informations about the document and object inside. I'm considering a different approach that will be fully compatible with Visio x64 and that will not be dependent on any external library.
More to come, like a completely redesigned meta schema structure, support to other databases language extension (Oracle as first), more options, etc.
As told before, I'm just one busy guy working on it, so you need to be patient. There is a lot to learn here, VSTO, VOM, specific SQL syntaxes, installation procedures, etc.

Stay tuned!

Regards

Mario Majcica 

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Hmm

installed on Win 7 64bit, all went well. ....... except the forward engineering ribbon didn't appear in visio :(

Ian

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Installed the full Visual studio pack and reran the installation now it works. Excellent utility.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I am also very happy to see that you have taken the time to solve this issue. I too run  W7- 64bit and Visio 2010 and get an error loading.
So keep up the work... it seems that you will be making quite a few happy.

Cheers

Perry

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Hi Mario

I too have been doing some work in Visio to forward engineer a database model.  My work has centred around the MODELENGLib, which I have found quite lacking in parts.  I created a VSTO add-in using C# and and another solution using embedded VBA code.  Both work pretty well and do the job intended.  There are, however, a number of limitations with the MODELENGLib, for example I haven't been able to find a way to capture column (attribute) notes.  It seems the template is able to reverse engineer most database objects into a Visio model, but when you try to access some of these objects via the MODELENGLib, they simply aren't available.

My own approach was to create an object model that mirrors SQL Management Objects (SMO) and populate this using MODELENGLib.  At the moment I am just scripting SQL, but did have plans to utilise SMO to create DB objects.  I haven't progressed any further with this due to the limitations of MODELENGLib.

I have tried to look for alternative ways to accessing the Visio Model properties without using MODELENGLib (Like you, my time is limited), but haven't had any success as yet.  It just seems that Visio does not expose this in the application. I've searched the Visio object model and the SDK. 

Also note that the database model template (DBMODL_M.VST) that provides all of this functionality is a binary file.  My hope is that there is a way of accessing the underlying model without using MODELENGLib, but I fear this may be a dead end, hence the existence of MODELENGLib in the first place.

John

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Hello,

Thanks for working on this seriously wanted addin !!

I downloaded it, but can't install in win 7 32bit,

i get an error message asking to check that the setup.exe is for the correct version...
Published version is 64bits ?

thanks

May 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM
Edited May 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

You can create a MODELENGLib.dll for referencing from the Visual Studio project by using your VS Command Prompt, navigating to the Office directory (probably c:\program files\microsoft office\office14) and typing "tlbimp modeleng.dll".  Then reference the output (which will be MODELENGLib.dll) from your project.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I am trying to add addon on win 7 32 bit, visio 2010 32 bit but I am getting same error like Inzenet check that the setup.exe is for the correct version...

I downloaded the code and tried to build it for x86 but now I get MODELENGLib.dll reference.

@tbrentlong .. your explained method didn't work for me. Can u help more?

Any update coming soon?

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM
I'm actually not working on the project; just found a solution for the ModelEngLib reference issue. Open a visual studio command prompt, navigate to the Office directory that has Modeleng.dll in it and use the tlbimp command. It should output the assembly you need; it will have a few warnings, but they're inconsequential. You can then delete the reference from your project and re-add it pointing to the new dll you've just generated.
Good luck

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:34 AM, dotriz <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I am trying to add addon on win 7 32 bit, visio 2010 32 bit but I am getting same error like Inzenet check that the setup.exe is for the correct version...

I downloaded the code and tried to build it for x86 but now I get MODELENGLib.dll reference.

@tbrentlong .. your explained method didn't work for me. Can u help more?

Any update coming soon?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ForwardEngineer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ForwardEngineer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Brent
Cell: 972-369-6300
Fax: 866-554-7492
Jul 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM

So I managed to get this to compile and build by replacing  the key with my own.  However, when I run visio as a different user on the same machine I get an error to the effect of

"This is not  a valid office plug-in"

Any tips?  I need 64 bit office for things like PowerPivot, but I need fwd Engineer to work as well.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Hey Techies--

I spent a little time on getting an x64 compile to work, so I thought I'd share that process with anyone else that might be doing the same thing.  Hope this helps.

Punch List on How to compile for 64 bit using Visual Studio 2010
----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Make sure your project is set to build for x64 (Go to project, properties -- build)
2. Make sure you are targeting the correct framework [this project is set to target 4.0].
   (Go to setup project, click on "launch conditons editor", under launch cond. select Net framework,
    on the right in properties, select version. Pick the one you have -- if you aren't sure, pick "Any" for now)

You may see these errors--here's how I worked through them:

Error #1: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "MODELENGLib".
          Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get
          compilation errors.

Answer: You will get compiler errors. Go to Visual Studo x64 Cross Tools command line.
        Step1: Navigate to: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
        Step2: In the command window type: tlbimp modeleng.dll
                The command will output the needed file: MODELENGLib.dll
        Step3: Make a copy of the MODELENGLib.dll and move it to your copy of the Visio.ForwardEngineer VS 2010 project.
        Steo4: Add the dll as a reference to the project.

Error #2: Cannot import the following key file: ForwardEngineer.pfx. The key file may be password protected. 
          To correct this, try to import the certificate again or manually install the certificate to the Strong
          Name CSP with the following key container name: VS_KEY_951D0CC90FBA03D0

Answer: Lot's of hocus pocus here. You won't have the password to this cert, so here is how you go about changing it
            and generating a new pfx file with the same name:

Step0: Go to the VS 2010 x64 Cross Platform command prompt. Navigate to where the current
               ForwardEngineer.pfx file exists. Make a safety copy. In your Visusal Studio session,
               remove the pfx from the project, refresh the project.
        Step1: makecert.exe -sv yourKey.pvk -n "CN=VS_KEY_951D0CC90FBA03D0" yourKey.cer
        Step2: pvk2pfx.exe -pvk youKey.pvk -spc yourKey.cer -pfx ForwardEngineer.pfx -po yourPassword
        Step3: sn -i ForwardEngineer.pfx VS_KEY_951D0CC90FBA03D0
        Step4: Go back to your Visual Studio session and add the ForwardEngineer.pfx back to the project.
        Step5: In Visual Studio, go to Project Properties, Signing. Make sure "Sign the Assembly" is checked.
               Under Choose a strong name key file, browse to the ForwardEngineer.pfx file.

Error #3: (May happen after a compile with the changed pfx file): Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the certificate store.

Step1: Go to Start, in the search box type: certmgr.msc
         Step2: Highlight Personal, Go to Action, Go to All Tasks, Go to Import..
         Step3: Follow the Import Wizard Instrucitons.(Note: be sure you import the pfx version, not the yourKey.cer version) 

Error #4: 'Visio.ForwardEngineer.dll' of project output 'Primary output from Visio.ForwardEngineer (Release x64)' targeting 'AMD64' is not compatible with the project's target platform 'x86'

This problem is not with the primary source, but with the install/setup project. In the setup project look at where the files are
 pointing. Chances they are still pointing to the default \obj\release bin\release areas. Make sure they point to the
 \obj\x64\release and \bin\x64\release areas. Make sure that any of the dependency files that you have are NOT x86 versions.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Do you have the setup for the 64bit version?

thanks

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Edited Dec 29, 2011 at 3:42 AM

if after installing the add on the ribbon didn't show up then it might not been activated yet. If it fails to activate then you might need to install dot net framework 4.

thanks

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Hi! Do you have the setup for the 64bit version?

thanks in advanced

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Almost!  Still stuck.  Here are my errors:

Error 2 Could not find file 'C:\Development\CodePlex\VisioForwardEngineer\v1\Visio.ForwardEngineer\Visio.ForwardEngineer\obj\Release\Visio.ForwardEngineer.dll' 'The system cannot find the file specified.' C:\Development\CodePlex\VisioForwardEngineer\v1\Visio.ForwardEngineer\Visio.ForwardEngineer.Setup\Visio.ForwardEngineer.Setup.vdproj Visio.ForwardEngineer.SetupError 3 Cannot import the following key file: VS_KEY_951D0CC90FBA03D0.pfx. The key file may be password protected. To correct this, try to import the certificate again or import the certificate manually into the current user’s personal certificate store. Visio.ForwardEngineerError 4 Importing key file "ForwardEngineer.pfx" was canceled. Visio.ForwardEngineer

Error 3 Cannot import the following key file: VS_KEY_951D0CC90FBA03D0.pfx. The key file may be password protected. To correct this, try to import the certificate again or import the certificate manually into the current user’s personal certificate store. Visio.ForwardEngineer

Error 4 Importing key file "ForwardEngineer.pfx" was canceled. Visio.ForwardEngineer

I did complete up through your Error #2 Instructions but still having trouble with that dll.

Any ideas?

Karl..

May 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Can Coordinator or developer please upload the 64 bit version of this awesome tool. It will be very help full if they do so. I downloaded the source code and i am getting errors in importing ForwardEngineer.pfx 

Thank you.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM
thebeck43 wrote:

Hi,

I have Windows 7 64-Bit and Visio 2010 64-Bit.  I ran the installer, which installed into the Program Files (x86) directory (i.e., not the 64-Bit Program Files directory).  When running Visio, the add-in is not there, and when I try to manually add it, I get an error saying that it is not a valid add-in.  Can you confirm that the Visio Forward Engineer Addin works in Visio 2010 64-Bit?  If not, would you mind compiling it for 64-Bit and including a setup for 64-Bit?

Thank you kindly!

thebeck

I tried this and it worked.

Install the x86 version to your machine.

Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Visio Forward Engineer " where its installed and LAUNCH "Visio.ForwardEngineer.vsto".

When done you should see the icon.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Very good and useful tool.

I was able to build on x64 for my office x64 on win7x64 using help from the posts previously stated here.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM
sipgnew wrote:

Install the x86 version to your machine.

Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Visio Forward Engineer " where its installed and LAUNCH "Visio.ForwardEngineer.vsto".

When done you should see the icon.

This was really the best piece of advice on this site.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM
Installed .NET (x86) n 64bit extended framework and it worked.

thanks very much for the great tool.
Jul 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Hi

I tried the 64 bit and unzipping... that did not work... winzip will not unzip even after renaming.

Trying to install the .3 version which seems to be 32 bit compatible... however I get the following error message: pleaase help!

Name: Visio Forward Engineer
From: file:///C:/Users/T095236/AppData/Local/Temp/install/Visio.ForwardEngineer.vsto

************** Exception Text **************
System.Security.SecurityException: Customized functionality in this application will not work because the certificate used to sign the deployment manifest for Visio Forward Engineer or its location is not trusted. Contact your administrator for further assistance.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustPromptKeyInternal(ClickOnceTrustPromptKeyValue promptKeyValue, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName, TrustStatus status)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustUsingPromptKey(Uri manifest, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName, TrustStatus status)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustUsingPromptKey(Uri manifest, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.ProcessSHA1Manifest(ActivationContext context, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, PermissionSet permissionsRequested, Uri manifest, ManifestSignatureInformationCollection signatures, AddInInstallationStatus installState)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.VerifySecurity(ActivationContext context, Uri manifest, AddInInstallationStatus installState)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer